Dad’s warning after lady, 14, dies from inhaling deodorant

The mother and father of a lady who died after inhaling aerosol deodorant need clearer product labelling to warn folks of the potential risks.

Giorgia Green, who was 14 and from Derby, had a cardiac arrest after spraying the deodorant in her bed room.

Her mother and father have since develop into conscious of different younger individuals who by accident died after inhaling deodorant.

In response, the British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association (BAMA) stated deodorants have “very clear warnings”.

By law, aerosol deodorants must be printed with the warning “maintain out of reach of youngsters”.

However, Giorgia’s mother and father stated the writing is small.

They consider many mother and father purchase deodorant for his or her kids with out noticing the warning.

“People don’t know how dangerous the contents of those tins can be,” stated her father Paul.

“I would like it so that no-one else in the country – or the world – would end up having to go through what we’ve personally gone through.

“We don’t desire our daughter’s dying to be in useless.”

Paul Green With His Daughter

Family photograph

Giorgia had autism and her father said she liked to spray deodorant on blankets as she found the smell comforting.

“The scent of it gave her a sure sense of leisure,” stated Mr Green.

“If she was feeling in any means slightly bit anxious, she would spray this spray and it might give her a way of consolation as a result of it is a deodorant my spouse used.”

Giorgia’s older brother found her unresponsive in her bedroom on 11 May 2022.

“Her door was open, so it wasn’t as if it was an enclosed surroundings,” stated her father.

“The actual quantity [of deodorant] is not clear however it might be greater than you’ll usually spray.

“At some point her heart stopped as a result of breathing it in.”

An inquest was held into Giorgia’s dying and the coroner recorded the conclusion as misadventure.

Her medical reason for dying was “unascertained but consistent with inhalation of aerosol”.

Teenage Boy Spraying Himself With Deodorant

Getty Images

According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), “deodorant” was talked about on 11 dying certificates between 2001 and 2020.

However, the precise variety of deaths is more likely to be greater than this, as a result of the truth that particular substances should not all the time talked about on dying certificates.

Giorgia’s dying certificates referred to “inhalation of aerosol” fairly than “deodorant”.

Butane – the primary ingredient of Giorgia’s deodorant – was recorded as having been concerned in 324 deaths between 2001 and 2020. Propane and isobutane – additionally in Giorgia’s deodorant – had been talked about in 123 and 38 deaths respectively.

The ONS stated the substances have been linked to quite a lot of deaths, noting: “The inhalation of butane or propane gas can lead to heart failure.”

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) stated quite a lot of folks have died after over-spraying deodorants.

Ashley Martin, public well being adviser at RoSPA, stated: “It’s easy to assume they are completely safe and totally free from risk. The truth is they’re not.

“Inhaling massive portions of aerosols, not simply deodorants, can result in a complete host of life-endangering eventualities – from blackouts and respiration difficulties, to coronary heart rhythm modifications and sadly, dying.

“There’s a common misconception that fatalities from aerosols only happen in a substance abuse scenario, but this is absolutely not true.

“We have seen quite a lot of fatalities over current years the place kids and younger adults have over-sprayed aerosols – from youngsters acutely aware of physique odour, to kids searching for reassurance from acquainted smells.”

2Px Presentational Grey Line

What warnings are printed on aerosol deodorants?

Giorgia'S Dad Holding Deodorant

By law, aerosol deodorants must be printed with the warning “maintain out of reach of youngsters”.

Most aerosol deodorants also have a warning that says “solvent abuse can kill immediately”. This is not a legal requirement, but is recommended by BAMA due to the risk of people inhaling aerosols to intentionally get high.

Giorgia’s parents believe the warning should be changed to “solvent use can kill immediately”, as a result of Giorgia was not abusing deodorant.

Aerosol deodorants must also contain instructions on their correct usage, which are written following risk assessments carried out by the manufacturer. For example, the instructions might say “use briefly bursts in well-ventilated locations”.

If an aerosol deodorant is flammable there must also be a warning about this.

2Px Presentational Grey Line

Giorgia Green

Family photograph

BAMA stated in an announcement: “The British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association (BAMA) takes very severely any incident involving aerosol merchandise, and we had been deeply saddened to be taught of the dying of somebody so younger.

“As an industry association we work with manufacturers to ensure that aerosols are made to the highest safety standards and are labelled with very clear warnings and usage instructions and recommend that anyone using an aerosol does so in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

“We additionally advocate making use of quite a lot of extra warnings and utilization directions, past these required by regulation, and proceed to evaluate these to encourage the secure use of aerosols.”

Presentational Grey Line

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Send your story concepts to

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.